Magic BlackTM is preferred when the lowest reflectance and highest emissivity are required in the FUV-UV, VIS up to SWIR regions. This coating is typically applied for stray light suppression.
In addition to its superior optical performance Magic BlackTM delivers many other attributes important in space applications:
- Essentially zero outgassing
- Vacuum and thermal-vacuum cycling compatible
- Operating temperatures from (-)269°C to (+)380°C
- No particulation
- Can be customized to a few microns in thickness making it particularly suitable for optical designs with sharp edges.
- Compatible with virtually all substrate materials
The Magic BlackTM coating undergoes regular testing and qualification to meet the specific requirements of space applications that involve optical, thermal, and mechanical testing. These tests assess the coating’s qualification for reflectance after environmental exposure to extreme thermal cycling, thermal vacuum cycling, extreme cryogenic temperature performance, strict outgassing, vast endurance to space atomic oxygen, and long-term adherence to various substrate materials. Detailed BRDF data is available.